Gagne & Son

History

The history of Gagne & Son is a compelling story: a Maine-based family business that began providing the best quality products and the highest level of customer service in 1945. The company that is now a leader in Maine's building and home improvement industry started with the hard work and dedication of father and son team Alfred and Pete Gagne. They produced 8" concrete block in a two-car garage next to the family home. It was then that the Gagne & Son tradition began.


As the business grew, Gagne & Son expanded their capabilities to meet the changing needs and demands of their customers and neighbors. They increased production, expanded capabilities and acquired competitors. Developments, change and growth fashioned the business into the local supplier of building materials for any home improvement or commercial project in Maine.


Since its modest beginnings, Gagne & Son has grown to include eight locations across Maine and an extensive dealer network. To make local and sustainable building materials available, Gagne & Son now controls three warehouses, a quarry in Belgrade and a 35,000 square foot concrete block manufacturing plant. The business is currently owned and operated by Linda and Peter Gagne, grandchildren of founder Alfred Gagne.



2012

A brand new eighth location in the town of Holden. Now Gagne & Son covers From Holden to Kittery and has a stong hold on the state of Maine.



2005

A new 35,000 square-foot concrete block plant opens and the firm buys the former Saco-Brick Company stores in Saco and Kittery.



2003

Gagne Fuel Oil is sold to Downeast Energy.



2001

The third warehouse is built, measuring 80 by 200 feet.



2000

Manufacturing begins on soft-split block.



1998

The Calumet Club dedicates their Little League field and renames it Peter Gagne Sports Field.



1997

Albert "Pete" Gagne dies of cancer at the age of 61.



1996

The company starts making the Dek-Block line. Gagne and Son buys the retail store owned by V. Minnini Block Co. in Westbrook.



1994

Production begins on 4x8 pavers. A new Thunderbird crusher goes on line.



1993

The company starts making Keystone retaining wall block systems.



1989

Gagne & Son buys Louis Caron Block Inc. in Auburn.



1987

Peter Gagne starts working in the block plant.



1985

A 40-by-60 feet, two-story warehouse is added to the main office. Later it would become part of the office complex.



1982

Gagne & Son buys Maine Cement Products in Veazie, renames it Gagne Precast. Fred Gagne, Pete's son manages it for 19 years.



1981

The company opens a hardware supply store in Belgrade.



1979

The new office building opens.



1975

Production increases to 6,000 blocks per day. Linda Gagne starts working for her father after school.



1973-1974

Pete Gagne purchases two apartment buildings in Augusta, tears them down and builds a 30-unit complex with concrete block.



1966

Production increases to 4,000 blocks per day.



1963

Gagne Fuel Oil Co. is founded.



1962

Gagne & Son starts making colored patio blocks, their first hardscaping product.



1960

Pete and Joyce have their first child, Linda. The company has 8 employees.



1959

Alfred Gagne dies in a car accident. Pete marries Joyce Demers from Augusta.



1952

The manufacturing plant is moved to Belgrade.



1945

Alfred Gagne and his son, Albert "Pete" Gagne, started the business in a two-car garage next to the family home on Washington Street in Augusta.